12 April 2007

So it goes.

This morning's news of the death of Kurt Vonnegut was a doubly tragic for me. You see, for the last several years I had been living under the impression that Vonnegut was already dead. So to find out that I had been falsely living in a Vonnegut-less world all this time only to find that now, in fact, I am living in a Vonnegut-less world was pretty brutal.

I thought, in tribute to the man, I'd post some of my favorite quotes from the late Mr. Vonnegut.

"I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center."

"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."

"A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved."

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be."
"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!"

"Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why."

So it goes.

2 comments:

EJ said...

I can't decide if it would be a clever tribute or incredibly tasteless to put the size of his penis in his obituary. Personally, I think that's what he would have wanted. However, I don't have 'Breakfast of Champions' at hand, and I refuse to google "+'Kurt Vonnegut' +'penis'" from my work computer.

aloha.taboo said...

This blog has some excerpts of Vonnegut reading from Cat's Cradle